Child Safety Information and Resources 2019 12-43-23


Home

Child Safety On The Information Highway

Just over 70% of these costs are paid by the general public through insurance premiums, taxes, direct out-of-pocket payments for goods and services and increased charges for medical care. The other 30% are paid by the individuals involved in the crash.

Child Safety

Serious and, often times, fatal crashes are the result of distracted driving. Anytime you take your eyes off the road, your hands off the steering wheel, and/or take your mind off driving, you become a distracted driver.

The Idaho Office of Traffic and Highway Safety recommends that anyone providing parent technical information regarding their child’s car seat should attend this valuable training course. The Idaho CPS program provides free Child Passenger Safety Inspection Stations through our hospitals, fire departments, police departments, and District Public Health Department offices. At these locations parents and caregivers can learn how to safely transport children by using the properly fitted child safety seats. Click here for a list of current child safety seat check sites in Idaho, then enter Idaho and the zip code.

Child Passenger Safety Technicians train properly fit child safety seats. Out of the thousands of child safety seats installed in vehicles over 80% of them are incorrectly installed according to National surveys conducted by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). The NHTSA Standardized Child Passenger Safety Training course is designed to certify child safety advocates as Child Passenger Safety Technicians. The course provides attendee’s with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide parents with accurate and consistent information regarding child car safety seats.

The process used to identify traffic safety problems began initially by evaluating Idaho’s experience in each of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA’s) eight highway safety priority areas. These were program areas determined by NHTSA to be most effective in reducing motor vehicle collisions, injuries and deaths. Consideration for other potential traffic safety problem areas came from analyzing Idaho collision data, suggestions from Idaho Traffic Safety Commission (ITSC) members, suggestions by Office of Highway Safety staff, and by researching issues identified by other states. All traffic safety problems must be validated with supporting data and there must be an effective countermeasure to address the problem that is eligible for Federal highway safety funds.

child wellbeing and safety information sharing scheme

Aggressive driving is a high-risk behavior. High-risk drivers climb into the anonymity of an automobile and take out their frustrations on anybody at any time. For them, frustration levels are high, and level of concern for fellow motorists is low. Most people believe that the worst thing that can happen if they speed or fail to obey traffic signals is that they will get a ticket, so it’s an acceptable risk. Drivers like this are wrong. Maybe even dead wrong, because aggressive driving can kill. Aggressive driving contributed to 222 deaths on Idaho roads from 2012 to 2014, and another 1,913 people were seriously injured in aggressive-driver involved crashes.

Coroner’s Report of Motor Vehicle Crash Fatality Form (Word Document) HIPAA – NHTSA designated as a “Public Health Authority (PDF) Idaho Statutes concerning reporting of deaths and testing of blood (PDF)


Previous     Next
More Information -
Child Safety Information and Resources 2019 7-04-27
Child Safety Information and Resources 2019 3-23-02
Child Safety Information and Resources 2019 19-13-58
Child Safety Information and Resources 2019 6-31-28
Child Safety Information and Resources 2019 4-22-05
Child Safety Information and Resources 2019 17-27-39
Child Safety Information and Resources 2019 7-45-28


Copyright© 2019 - Reuse encouraged